Monday, February 14, 2011

Peas, Corn, Or Sprouts?


As you will notice, today my blog title has a hidden Acronym. Something that has affected my life in a huge way, and something that makes my dieting and life changes even more important, but even more harder.

Poly cystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) is one of the most common female endocrine disorders affecting approximately 5%-10% of women of reproductive age (12–45 years old) and is thought to be one of the leading causes of female subfertility.

Most of you will know that I conceived my beautiful daughter through an emotional and expensive process called In Vitro Fertilization (IVF). Part of the reason for needing to receive fertility treatment is because of my condition (PCOS).

What has this to do with my diet, you say? Well, I wish it didn't, but it does. On a good note, dieting will help reduce the severity of my PCOS, and will certainly assist in helping gain a more regular cycle, along with increase the chances of fertility. BUT, the bad news is that women with PCOS find it more difficult to lose weight and keep it off.  Here is a quote from an article on PCOS and dieting:
"Where PCOS is associated with overweight or obesity, successful weight loss is probably the most effective method of restoring normal ovulation/menstruation, but many women find it very difficult to achieve and sustain significant weight loss. Low-carbohydrate diets and sustained regular exercise may help. Some experts recommend a low GI diet in which a significant part of total carbohydrates are obtained from fruit, vegetables and whole grain sources."

Whilst this is a small hurdle in my long journey, it means I need to be really patient and persevere! Patience and Perseverance, my new motto!

Now for the good news. A visit to my dietitian on the weekend proved great results. A total loss in a week of 1.2 KG. Also, centimetres lost from my hips and waist and bust (1cm = 1kg body fat). This is great news! I have been doing some exercise and am feeling motivated and healthy already!

Au Revoir, FAT!

1 comment: